Old Skool Swamp

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

billy
Jackie Treehorn

Re: Old Skool Swamp

Post by billy »

What's up y'all! I too got a similar inkling as Zaz (wonderful to hear that you're doing so well, sounds like a great life tbh!), or maybe a nudge from one of you dorks on the hellsite, and thought I'd pop in to say hi. I'm honestly amazed that so many of you have been going at it here for so long, and it makes me a bit nostalgic for my college days - though looking back at a couple threads, the almost 20 years ago version of me was very dumb and needlessly argumentative, so sorry about that. :shock:

Life is good here - I'm living west of Denver, married with a toddler, and I've been taking time off of formal work for the past year and a half and doing a lot of community volunteering here in the Denver metro area and learning Spanish (plug for learning a brand new language as an adult - it's very fun).

It's really nice to see some familiar faces here, and I really hope y'all are doing well - I'm gonna try to make a point to pop in from time to time, at least to see if the market for 90s college basketball jerseys or waterskis has improved. And I guess a couple people said I was a Trump fan or had some pro Trump takes at some point. I can assure you that is not and has never been the case, but the thought gave me a good laugh so I appreciate it!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh snap! Is it Hawaiian Shirt Friday already?

Good to hear you're doing well, man. And glad you popped in.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

My. God.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hey! Nice to hear from you.

And yeah, never read your old posts.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, Billy!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Billy, I think you need to post in the Brushes Thread so we can hear about your visit with Obama.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:19 pm Image
Oh wait, it was Tyus Edney he was looking for, wasn't it? Not Earl Boykins.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:12 pmOh wait, it was Tyus Edney he was looking for, wasn't it? Not Earl Boykins.
Thought he was interested in either.

ETA: Quick search of "Boykins" in older Swamp link and it was either.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nice to see you again Billy. Glad to hear you are doing well!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

billy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:37 amI'm living west of Denver
Golden? Evergreen? San Diego?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:38 am
billy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:37 amI'm living west of Denver
Golden? Evergreen? San Diego?
Kansas City - if you go far enough?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

Ha, we live in the Golden area. We lived in Denver for about 10 years and loved it, but once we had a kid (+ COVID), we were constantly driving across the city to get to the foothills and mountains to do stuff outside, so moving to the west side made more sense.

To clear up some points of possible confusion, I wasn't the HSF poster here (though they gave me permission to use their branding for the HSF website way back when). And I was looking for either a Tyus Edney or Earl Boykins jersey, ha. I eventually found a Tyus one thanks to someone here iirc, and it's still in my closet today. Reading that thread back, Brian offered to drive to the EMU bookstore and ship me a Boykins jersey. What a kind gesture. Y'all a bunch of beautiful nerds.

Steve, the demo we did for Obama was really cool. I was definitely nervous, but he was very down to earth and it was cool to get to demo a thing we built. I feel like he appreciated the JB Andrews Golf Course reference (we used the Andrews golf course page from our website as part of the demo), but his aides seemed a bit annoyed about it iirc.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Y'all a bunch of beautiful nerds.
I think your time here was after my original time here (ojo in the original swamp), or maybe I’ve lost brain cells to time), but yeah.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

billy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:19 pm Ha, we live in the Golden area. We lived in Denver for about 10 years and loved it, but once we had a kid (+ COVID), we were constantly driving across the city to get to the foothills and mountains to do stuff outside, so moving to the west side made more sense.
My son did a semester at Mines a few years ago. We loved Golden.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fucking hell it's nuts that post is almost old enough to drink
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:14 am Couch fans
I don't know who the eff the "tennbengals" guy is - why the plural, dude - but this take was 'aight for being 21 years old...
Line play was suspect, and the receivers, while decent, had no one who stepped up to the next level of go to threat/superstar. Maybe that was Couch's fault. Maybe not. What blame can be laid at the feet of a QB in the NFL always seems to be a chicken and egg argument. Most damning thing against Couch? What Holcomb accomplished when given a chance last year.