NFL Week 19 - We're Talkin' Playoffs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

NFL Week 19 - We're Talkin' Playoffs

Post by Pruitt IV »

Also, Demar Hamlin released from hospital in Cincinnati.
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 19 - We're Talkin' Playoffs

Post by rass »

*Damar
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Mea culpa - a decade of DeRozan in Toronto...
Canadian International
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If they want to set the stadium decibel record at Ralph Wilson, put Damar on the video board and have him start the opening line of "Shout!'
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Maybe our Swamper BenGALS fans can stop complaining about how week 18 was a setup done by the NFL because the NFL likes Baltimore more.

Also if Lamar can't go, I don't see the Ravens scoring enough to win.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So, unless the Bills win the Super Bowl, Tirico and Collinsworth in Cincinnati when Buffalo visits for the opening Sunday night game next year.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:23 pm Maybe our Swamper BenGALS fans can stop complaining about how week 18 was a setup done by the NFL because the NFL likes Baltimore more.

weird. I keep ignoring the bait and you all keep casting it. The issue with most of us wasn't that baltimore was given the possibility of a coin flip, it was that since the NFL came up with that in a change of the rules, it was that it didn't extend it potentially to a second round bengals/bills game or a second round bengals/chiefs game if that had come to pass. the possibility of a coin flip as to ravens posited that the Ravens were disadvantaged if cincy had lost the game to buffalo. Fine. But the nfl did not provide any coin flip type scenarios on the what if bengals had beaten buffalo scenario. Basically, nfl declared it a non-game and then assigned the consequences to the bengals as if it was a loss.

It was selectively applied, just to Cincinnati. It forced the bengals to play their starters last weekend even after the NFL declared the bengals the division champs and confirming a first place schedule etc but perhaps not a home game. It was weird.

On top of that, the whole thing looks gamed by the Ravens since it forced the bengals to play all their starters while baltimore immediately sat Andrews, Dobbins, Huntley, Zeitler and other starters and then spent the whole fucking game playing dirty and trying to hurt bengals.

Happy now?

tl/dr - literally there was already a rule on the books if this happened. NFL didn't follow it. Instead, the NFL created new rules that only disadvantaged the bengals.
Last edited by tennbengal on Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fantasy 8 team PPR, (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, Flex, K, D). 3rd pick after Hurts and Allen gone. Is McCaffery overthinking it versus just picking Mahomes and knowing he'll max at 3 games?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:52 pm Fantasy 8 team PPR, (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, Flex, K, D). 3rd pick after Hurts and Allen gone. Is McCaffery overthinking it versus just picking Mahomes and knowing he'll max at 3 games?
McCaffery all but guaranteed at least two games, so I get the logic. I'd go with him or Mahomes. I'm not convinced Mahomes will play more than 2 games.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:52 pm Fantasy 8 team PPR, (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, Flex, K, D). 3rd pick after Hurts and Allen gone. Is McCaffery overthinking it versus just picking Mahomes and knowing he'll max at 3 games?
If you think SF is going to the Super Bowl, McCaffrey is a very good pick. Scored ten TD in ten full games with SF, gets about 20 touches a game with 5 receptions.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The problem is then which QB am I lining up for. The 3 in the AFC will be gone so if someone takes Purdy, that means I'm either going Cousins (who runs into McCaffery) or the 4th best AFC option who is very likely 2 games max.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ok, I think I've talked myself out of McCaffery. Thanks!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:02 pm The problem is then which QB am I lining up for. The 3 in the AFC will be gone so if someone takes Purdy, that means I'm either going Cousins (who runs into McCaffery) or the 4th best AFC option who is very likely 2 games max.
Dak may not be a bad pick here if you think the Cowboys are very likely to beat the Bucs. You'll get two games min and a not unrealistic chance for the Cowboys to upset the Eagles. At worst, he should produce OK even if they lose that game if they're playing from behind.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I pass on Mahomes and end up with Dak I feel like I deserve to lose.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:38 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:23 pm Maybe our Swamper BenGALS fans can stop complaining about how week 18 was a setup done by the NFL because the NFL likes Baltimore more.

tl/dr - literally there was already a rule on the books if this happened. NFL didn't follow it. Instead, the NFL created new rules that only disadvantaged the bengals.
And you know, there are Chiefs fans bitching that they got screwed because they can't host the AFC title game - and ONLY if it's against the Bills.

Bengals were put in a bad situation, Bills were okay, and the Chiefs were guaranteed a week off.

I think Bills and Bengals fans should join together in saying Fuck teh Chiefs.
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:21 pm

And you know, there are Chiefs fans bitching that they got screwed because they can't host the AFC title game - and ONLY if it's against the Bills.

Bengals were put in a bad situation, Bills were okay, and the Chiefs were guaranteed a week off.

We have an accord.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:26 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:21 pm

We have an accord.
B.T.W. as a Ravens fan I completely agree that it was weird the NFL did not follow its own rules creating this mess....it really was just to bait you into posting a rant.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I knew it was. Well done. I 100% have been dreading facing ravens a 3rd time. Gonna be a brutal game, win or lose, whoever comes out of it will likely be beat to hell headed to Buffalo...not ideal.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

This will be the first season in NFL history that three teams (Vikings, Bucs, Giants) with negative scoring differentials have made the playoffs, and the first time ever that two will play each other. If somehow the Bucs and Seahawks win this weekend, there would be a second matchup in as many weeks. Only one team with a negative diff has won two playoff games, the 1989 Denver Broncos.
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

What bengal said. If I would have gotten online earlier I would have taken the bait.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Apropos of hardly anything, the Bills won the regular season DVOA title, and became only the 7th team since 1981 to finish in the top 5 DVOA in all three phases, joining the '85 Bears, '91 Washington, '92 Eagles, '96 Pack, and both the '12 and '15 Seattle.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Seahawks seem delightfully and appropriately loose (given that this is house money playoffs appearance and sitting on a top 5 draft pick they should be)

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume players either give no shits about draft position or actively resent holding higher picks?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, I imagine your average NFL player (as in literally average, not a "star" and not practice squad fodder) would probably rather his team have no draft capital since bringing in younger players negatively impacts their chances of remaining on the roster.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Couple that with the fact that to get a lower pick for your team would require you to be worse at your job, which would directly affect negatively your next contract for both players and coaches.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Am I being ridiculous to read all of the Hamlin news about his "collapse" during an NFL game as being intentionally protective of the NFL? Like if I get shot in the face, I'll almost assuredly collapse too, but I doubt any future recovery would be phrased as happening post-collapse.

(Or is it because commotio cordis is strongly assumed but not officially confirmed?)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

They might if you stood up from the gunshot through your face and then collapsed like 5 seconds later.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

No Tua for the Dolphins...run that point spread up to 13?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:44 pm No Tua for the Dolphins...run that point spread up to 13?
That's where it's sitting right now.

And I hate the big spreads, but would throw a few Canadian dollars on the Bills.

Also - and this could be unfair - but I wonder if Lamar Jackson had signed a big contract in the off-season whether he would still be extremely doubtful to play this weekend.
Canadian International
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt IV wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:33 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:44 pm No Tua for the Dolphins...run that point spread up to 13?
That's where it's sitting right now.

And I hate the big spreads, but would throw a few Canadian dollars on the Bills.

Also - and this could be unfair - but I wonder if Lamar Jackson had signed a big contract in the off-season whether he would still be extremely doubtful to play this weekend.
I'm sure he is still "injured" per se (LeVeon Bell had a similar injury in 2014 and I believe he said it would have kept him out for more than a month if it weren't in week 17), but I would also bet that he'd be more likely to try to play on it in that case.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Absolute joke. Dolphins are gonna get beat by 35 while the hot Steelers off a 7-2 finish would have only lost this game by 28 had they made it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:38 am
Absolute joke. Dolphins are gonna get beat by 35 while the hot Steelers off a 7-2 finish would have only lost this game by 28 had they made it.
Ha. Yeah, kind of how I feel about the Lions missing the playoffs. Not super heartbroken considering SF might have had their way with them and ruined some of the good vibes about the Week 18 win. Maybe better to let the Seahawks get curbstomped and carry those good feelings through the offseason.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Disagree. I think any playoff appearance when it comes unexpectedly is a net positive for both the team and its fans. Case in point, Philly in '21 had minimal expectations. They rose from the morass that was the bottom of the NFC playoff contenders and made the #7 slot. I knew like everyone that Tampa was going to have their way with them, and when it happened, it didn't detract my appreciation as a fan of them making it in an admittedly unimpressive slot. I'm not suggesting that their appearance and subsequent ass-kicking has anything to do with their success this year, but it was a small victory which was something.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:25 am
Ha. Yeah, kind of how I feel about the Lions missing the playoffs. Not super heartbroken considering SF might have had their way with them and ruined some of the good vibes about the Week 18 win. Maybe better to let the Seahawks get curbstomped and carry those good feelings through the offseason.
My prediction is that the Seahawks lose, but make it respectable enough that everyone around here will be convinced that Geno Smith is the answer at QB...and then next year he'll revert to the mean and suck.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I think you may be underselling Geno and overselling the upgrade possibilities that would/could be available this offseason
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Geno has been good for years now but no one noticed because they just looked at the box scores
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:25 am
Speaking of the Lions, they look fun as hell:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean this is probably the best SNF intro ever:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

He's awesome:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean the Lions best player is literally named after the Egyptian Sun god. This is a fun fucking team.