Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

Bought tickets and having a movie date tonight. When I told Mrs. AB I wanted to see it she said "why, because she gets naked?" and I don't even know if it's true, but hey, bonus if so!

And Syb, so long as the list doesn't include "sister-in-law" or "the lady that works in the office next to me" you can pretty much go wild.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:47 am Bought tickets and having a movie date tonight. When I told Mrs. AB I wanted to see it she said "why, because she gets naked?" and I don't even know if it's true, but hey, bonus if so!

And Syb, so long as the list doesn't include "sister-in-law" or "the lady that works in the office next to me" you can pretty much go wild.
Since we both work mostly from home, lady in the office next to me is my wife… And I definitely married the hotter sister, so no worries there.

The sexy friend Based on a True Story could make the list. Too skinny, but her ethnically ambiguous look does it for me. Some scenes you’d swear she is Asian, sometimes Hispanic, and she could easily play dozens of nationalities. On my phone, otherwise I’d post pics. Priscilla Quintana.

ETA: according to Wiki her ancestry is Castizo Mexican (mix of Spanish and Native), and part Native American.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:42 amI have no idea who I’d put on my list these days. Open to suggestions.
Katy Perry is taken so you'll have to start somewhere else.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:09 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:42 amI have no idea who I’d put on my list these days. Open to suggestions.
Oh no. I'd go devil's threesome with Syb on that one if that was what it took to get it done.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:10 am
Oh no. I'd go devil's threesome with Syb on that one if that was what it took to get it done.
I can’t imagine she’d turn it down, but if she did, I’d settle for pretending she was watching.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:19 am
A_B wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:10 am
I can’t imagine she’d turn it down, but if she did, I’d settle for pretending she was watching.
I may be misreading this, but I don't think we got to know each other that well during the few hours we were together last year. But you did bring me a drink, so I guess the implication and all...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Was the drink opened or unopened?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

AB got roofied?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:28 pm Was the drink opened or unopened?
Unopened, but home brewed. So anything is possible.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:33 pm Exactly what I wanted from a movie named Cocaine Bear
Such a mean movie.

I’m mean I loved it but
[+] spoiler
Liotta’s last role was really being eaten by cocaine binging near cubs? But poor Margo got done even dirtier.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

In the group text we have with the couple we went to see that movie with, we will randomly bring up the latter scene. So funny every time.
[+] spoiler
Me: so y’all want to meet for dinner around 7:00
The other husband: that’ll work
The other wife: remember that time Margo’s face was introduced to the asphalt at a high rate of speed?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Liked Asteroid City..but I am not a Wes super fan. So can imagine folks being critical.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The movie was decent. The funny parts were super funny but the overall narrative lacked.

But holy shit the full nude scene was hilarious.
[+] spoiler
Cunt punch! Stay vigilant!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Finally saw spider verse 2 - it really was outstanding.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:33 pm Exactly what I wanted from a movie named Cocaine Bear
Just saw it and enjoyed every minute.
[+] spoiler
The Ranger falling out of the ambulance made me fall off the couch laughing.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:55 pm
Just saw it and enjoyed every minute.
[+] spoiler
The Ranger falling out of the ambulance made me fall off the couch laughing.
Peep my spoiler.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Forgetting Sarah Marshall might be my favorite movie ever because the idea of a schlubby guy being fought over by Mila Kunis and Kristen Bell is endlessly compelling.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Decided to finally watch St. Elmo's Fire last night. For some reason I thought it was supposed to be an actual good movie, not a pop-teenager film for people slightly older than teens. I'm giving it a lot of leeway because it doesn't hold up, but it really felt more like a comedic parody of an 80s movie than an actual movie. Cast was unbelievable, and Rob Lowe was absolutely dreamy! I think 38 years negates the need for a spoiler tag.

First thing of note, the horrendous cuts to music playing over scenes. I know it was a thing in the 80's, but Jesus, there were so many, the music was so loud and jarring when it kicked in... Then you throw in Rob Lowe's character wailing away on his saxophone. The characters were cartoon versions of stereotypes with almost zero depth and down to a character completely unlikable and unrelatable in any way. The extremely thin plot was just ridiculous, even for the 80s. A father so desperate for his 22 year old daughter to marry he buys her an extravagant dream car (Chrysler LeBaron convertible!!!) if she agrees to marry some schlub before she even meets him. Fuck it, so much bad writing I can't even list it all. On top of all that, it would have been boring as fuck, except it was so hilariously bad I was entertained enough to keep watching to laugh at it.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't think it was considered a particularly good movie at the time. Just a Big Deal because it had nearly the entire Brat Pack in it.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah it was never considered a “good” movie but it’s one of those movies that kind of perfectly captures a particular era (early 80s Reagan America)
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Demi Moore's suicide attempt by opening her windows on a really cold evening.

Her issue was a little nose candy and credit card debt?

Riveting.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The movie gets a pass because John Parr’s “St. Elmo’s Fire (Man in Motion)” is truly one of the best songs of the 80’s and the theme song itself is outstanding.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:34 pm I don't think it was considered a particularly good movie at the time. Just a Big Deal because it had nearly the entire Brat Pack in it.
There are millions of women that were 14-17 when that movie came out that still probably think it was one of the best movies of all time (my wife is kind of in that category.)

It was a REALLY bad movie.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s worth seeing if for literally nothing else the acting debut of a young Andi McDowell
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Oppenheimer never even said the "I am become death..." quote, he just thought it, and then he told everyone how awesome of a thought he had. Pretty much pulled the biggest Costanza in world history.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:42 pm Demi Moore's suicide attempt by opening her windows on a really cold evening.

Her issue was a little nose candy and credit card debt?

Riveting.
Ha, yeah that had me laughing out loud. All of the other characters were outside, and none seemed cold at all, yet they are frantically trying to blow torch the bars covering her windows to get in through the fire escape, acting like they had seconds to get to her before she died. Insanely stupid.

Andi McDowell was adorable for sure, but her character being charmed by Emilio Estevez full on stalking her after they had one date in college 5 years earlier was close to being as ludicrous. He barged into some high society event with formal dress and she happily left with him. Then he drove to a ski cabin and barged in on her romantic getaway and she cheerfully invited him in, and the guy was even more hospitable.

What I really loved was the smoking. They are in a hospital ER, and everyone is smoking at the admission desk, including hospital employees. Andrew McCarthy is smoking while stirring food and ashing in the bowl... So much jarring changes in society.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:21 am Oppenheimer never even said the "I am become death..." quote, he just thought it, and then he told everyone how awesome of a thought he had. Pretty much pulled the biggest Costanza in world history.
Yea, I always found that footnote interesting. I honestly thought that was an original saying he conjured in the moment.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:51 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:34 pm I don't think it was considered a particularly good movie at the time. Just a Big Deal because it had nearly the entire Brat Pack in it.
There are millions of women that were 14-17 when that movie came out that still probably think it was one of the best movies of all time (my wife is kind of in that category.)

It was a REALLY bad movie.
Maybe I was a year or two outside the projected demographic, but John Hughes' movies are crap fests.
Canadian International
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I have to respectfully disagree in part. His Molly Ringwald tryptic is tripe, but Ferris Bueller, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, the Vacation movies, and the first Home Alone still hold up.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:38 am
Giff wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:35 am Brandon Backe, Astros playoff star from 2004.
Jeez...that's a deep cut.
Astros viewing party at a local wing place tomorrow. Special guest? Brandon Backe.

Guess who's having wings tomorrow?!

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Breakfast showing of Indiana Jones with my son. It has gotten a bunch of really strong reviews. It was not great, not terrible. Just a fun typical movie in the franchise.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:13 pm Decided to finally watch St. Elmo's Fire last night. For some reason I thought it was supposed to be an actual good movie, not a pop-teenager film for people slightly older than teens. I'm giving it a lot of leeway because it doesn't hold up, but it really felt more like a comedic parody of an 80s movie than an actual movie. Cast was unbelievable, and Rob Lowe was absolutely dreamy! I think 38 years negates the need for a spoiler tag.
One of the few movies I've ever walked out of. The final straw was Rob Lowe jamming out on his sax, and then getting into a fight with his wife(?)/ex-wife(?) out in the street. I turned to my friend, loudly said "BLAH", and we got up and left.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The older I get the more I appreciate the greatness of Freddy Got Fingered (RIP Rip Torn)
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:16 pm The older I get the more I appreciate the greatness of Freddy Got Fingered (RIP Rip Torn)
I'm guessing that the above sentence has never been written before.
Canadian International
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Hot take: De-aging isn't out of the uncanny valley yet, and it'd be better for the suspension of disbelief to simply get a younger actor who looks similar to the star to play a younger version of a character.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:32 am Hot take: De-aging isn't out of the uncanny valley yet, and it'd be better for the suspension of disbelief to simply get a younger actor who looks similar to the star to play a younger version of a character.
Worked for Solo. Oh wait. It most certainly did not.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:42 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:32 am Hot take: De-aging isn't out of the uncanny valley yet, and it'd be better for the suspension of disbelief to simply get a younger actor who looks similar to the star to play a younger version of a character.
Worked for Solo. Oh wait. It most certainly did not.
It’s always been a problem. I remember people laughing at Robin Williams playing a high school-age version of his character in The World According to Garp. And I just watched an old classic movie starring 40 year-old Greer Garson and 28 year-old Gregory Peck. In the beginning of the film, they were supposedly playing 20 year-olds, and she certainly did not pull it off.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yo, not for nothing, but MI:7 was indeed, really fucking great.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:34 pm
rass wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:00 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:58 pm so...dungeons and dragons was excellent. like, truly fun. seriously.
I've heard the same! I don't know if I'll get a chance to see it, but I would if I could.
I mean...it was exactly what I needed. A few hours of really fun movie escapism. Funny. Some heart and stakes. I mean, really funny. If anyone needs a few hours away from anything, strong recommend.
I'd probably accentuate enjoyable escapism rather than overly funny (the comedic elements leaned toward subtlety over overt), but I agree with the sentiment. Worked for all four in our house (youths are 13 and 8).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:25 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:34 pm
rass wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:00 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:58 pm so...dungeons and dragons was excellent. like, truly fun. seriously.
I've heard the same! I don't know if I'll get a chance to see it, but I would if I could.
I mean...it was exactly what I needed. A few hours of really fun movie escapism. Funny. Some heart and stakes. I mean, really funny. If anyone needs a few hours away from anything, strong recommend.
I'd probably accentuate enjoyable escapism rather than overly funny (the comedic elements leaned toward subtlety over overt), but I agree with the sentiment. Worked for all four in our house (youths are 13 and 8).
pretty much every hugh grant line was perfect comedy. And the entire weird bradley cooper scene. And the entire re-animated corpse scene. Hilarious.